Here are just a few of the members of the Duke Community who have participated as readers:
- Scientist in an NGS R&D division of a cancer diagnostics company I received my PhD in human genetics from Duke. I now work at a different cancer diagnostics company where I write/edit reports on the clinical implications of mutations that are observed in a patient tumor sample.
- Senior Associate at RTI Health Solutions (Research Triangle Park, NC) Researches and writes about health outcomes in areas including oncology, opthamology, gastroenterology, and neurology. Former postdoctoral fellow at the Duke Center for Human Genetics
- Medical Director, Rice Diet Center, Duke Clinical evaluation and care of residential patients on Rice Diet Program
- NC State Epidemiologist, also served as Head of the Communicable Disease Control Branch with the NC Division of Public Health
- Communications director for the Department of Medicine, MA in medical journalism and focused on epidemiology of infectious diseases
- Researcher, investigating whether genetically modified or otherwise novel mosquito release is a good addition to vector control, experience with sterile insect technique for agriculture and involvement in international code of conduct for mass release of beneficial insects.
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist, Mental Health Center of Denver Outpatient Child/Adolescent Psychiatry and Forensic Psychiatry
- Clinical psychologist, interest in the impact of global actions and policies on the health and welfare of populations; particular interest in PTSD and the impact of war acts on civilians (destruction, rape, wounding, displacement, loss of community and family) and how interventions can be systematically applied to reduce the devastated mental health of these victims.
- Clinical psychologist in an academic setting, current research focuses on post traumatic stress disorder, trauma, bullying, and dating violence, teaching in the area of child advocacy and policy, with attention to abuse and neglect and its impact on children, families and communities.
- Director of a Psychiatric Institute, grant writing experience for self esteem projects and healthy choice project
- Digital marketing/advertising managed the development of multiple mobile apps and websites, most recently for Delta Airlines, Volkswagen and Audi.
- Product management for a company that has both web based, mobile optimized and mobile specific apps.
- Strategy, Technology, and Innovation team at a management consulting firm. Manage and lead technology focused projects that integrate and implement cutting edge technology.
- Teacher of technical and scientific writing,
- Electronics designer in industrial controls, optical character recognition, aerospace computer design and medical device design, served as consulting design engineer in own sole proprietorship for 33 years.
- Mechanical engineer with an international architecture and engineering firm, also work as a consultant providing forensic engineering services and expert witness testimony.
- Researcher, issues of environmental conflict and peacebuilding, specifically water, climate change, energy, and non-fuel minerals in the Middle East, Sub-Saharan Africa, and Asia.
- Consultant in stream and wetland restoration, managed multiple stream and wetland restoration projects, worked on all aspects of these projects including proposal, feasibility, design, permitting, construction, monitoring, and regulatory closeout. I also worked with a student in this class as a part of the Reader Project last year, which I found to be a good experience.
- Environmental consultant, assessment of wetland/stream functions and values, development of wetland mitigation plans, conducting wetland mitigation monitoring, and associated state/federal permitting support services.
- Environmental consultant and former Mayor, managed restoration of freshwater rivers, streams, and wetlands, salt marshes, and uplands, driven by regulatory requirements (Clean Water Act Section 404 mitigation, Oil Pollution Act and CERCLA Natural Resource Damages compensation, River and Harbors Act, state programs)
- Director, EDF’s sustainable seafood program, educating consumers and businesses how to make better seafood choices.
- Project Manager, Environmental Defense Fund Co-leads EDF’s on-site partnership with Wal-Mart in Bentonville, AR advancing sustainable business practices.
- Senior Associate, Nicholas Institute Coordinates the Institute’s inteactions with policymakers and stakeholders in federal climate and environmental debates.
- Associate at Kimley-Horn, working with the Hampton Roads localities to implement the Virginia Stormwater Management Program Regulations. As an equity research analyst who follows renewable and clean energy companies, I have a very strong knowledge base in environmental policy, both in the U.S. and internationally.
- Policy analyst focused on state and federal climate and energy policy, energy and environmental policy including options under the Clean Air Act and new legislation, the intersection of electric utility regulation and environmental regulation, state-level regulation of shale gas extraction, public opinion of climate policy options, renewable energy and energy efficiency policy, and public opinion of climate policy options in the U.S.
- Scientist, Oceana, bridging the gap between science and policy with an engineering and management background
- Writer and researcher for an organization that supports migrant farmworkers, focused on food issues from agricultural and economic perspective, as well as education of farmworker children (in developing countries this is an issue of child labor).
- Assistant professor at UT-Austin, broad area is sport and public policy, with a particular emphasis on public subsidization of sport projects and the ways in which sport is used to achieve public policy goals related to economic development, place marketing, social welfare, the development of policies by sport organizations (e.g., Olympics, professional sport leagues).
- Management consultant to governments (Price Waterhouse Office of Govt Services 1983-86, MAXIMUS 1991-2013, Fiscal Choice Consulting, LLC 2013-present), Budget Analyst, Office of Secretary, US Treasury 1986-89, City Councilman (Glencoe, IL 2005-present), speaker at Govt association conferences on various policy topics, consulted to cities of New York, Chicago, L.A., Houston, Nashville, St. Louis, Kansas City, Tampa, Atlanta, San Antonio, etc and numerous counties and state agencies
- Health economist and health policy analyst at RTI International, health policy, specifically related to mental health and substance abuse
- Economist in government, also went to law school (JD Maryland 78), involved in basic research who could translate research into policy, in particular, immigration reform, welfare reform, family policy, policy regarding marginalized males, fatherhood policy and health care reform.
- Retired superior court judge, State of North Carolina
- Visiting Professor at Fudan University in Shanghai and as chairman of two mutual funds investing in Greater China, also, former Executive Director of the House Republican Conference, with a great deal of experience with Congressional testimony.
- Intelligence and security analyst, Matthew Burton LLC Advises US intelligence and security community on collaboration and information sharing through the use of Web tools.
- Vietnam Program Coordinator, World Bank Design World Bank strategy and program for support to Vietnam; coordinate between Washington and Hanoi and monitor implementation.
- Lead systems engineer, Raytheon Systems engineer for Raytheon Network Centric Systems; Commander, Navy Reserves
- Foreign Service Officer, U.S. Department of State Economic Affairs section of U.S. Embassy in Tokyo; outreach to parliamentarians on economic issues and advocate for regulatory reform with government officials.
- Freelance Writer Contributes columns to USA Today (formerly “Pro Football Editor”) and other publications.
- News Producer, WXII News, NC Producer for 5pm news on NBC affiliate
- Senior Writer, Duke News and Communications Co-edits This Month at Duke and writes for a variety of campus publications
- University Archivist at UNC Greensboro, also an editor for Provenance: The Journal of the Society of Georgia Archivists, and a founding editor for Archival Practice, a new open-access, peer-reviewed journal launching in January 2014. Primary area is in archival enterprise, also a depth of understanding about American history fields related to the repositories– 20th century women’s health and fitness, women’s education, 20th century agricultural innovation, and Tennessee during the Civil War.
- Assistant Professor of History at Georgia Gwinnett College outside of Atlanta, areas are European history, and modern military and international history, German diplomacy, public opinion, and international politics before World War I.
- Professor of European and world history,. supervised many similar writing projects as well as teaching
- Director, Humanities, Arts, and Soc Sciences, University of California Responsible for funding and oversight of research programs and initiatives in the arts, humanities and social sciences for the University of California system.
- Admin. Manager for Interdisciplinary Programs, Duke Provide oversight for interdisciplinary institutes and centers on campus
- Full-time author of 20+ books