Here are just a few of the members of the Duke Community who have participated as readers:
- Scientist in an NGS R&D division of a cancer diagnostics company I received my PhD in human genetics from Duke. I now work at a different cancer diagnostics company where I write/edit reports on the clinical implications of mutations that are observed in a patient tumor sample.
- Senior Associate at RTI Health Solutions (Research Triangle Park, NC) Researches and writes about health outcomes in areas including oncology, opthamology, gastroenterology, and neurology. Former postdoctoral fellow at the Duke Center for Human Genetics
- Medical Director, Rice Diet Center, Duke Clinical evaluation and care of residential patients on Rice Diet Program
- NC State Epidemiologist, also served as Head of the Communicable Disease Control Branch with the NC Division of Public Health
- Communications director for the Department of Medicine, MA in medical journalism and focused on epidemiology of infectious diseases
- Researcher, investigating whether genetically modified or otherwise novel mosquito release is a good addition to vector control, experience with sterile insect technique for agriculture and involvement in international code of conduct for mass release of beneficial insects.
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist, Mental Health Center of Denver Outpatient Child/Adolescent Psychiatry and Forensic Psychiatry
- Clinical psychologist, interest in the impact of global actions and policies on the health and welfare of populations; particular interest in PTSD and the impact of war acts on civilians (destruction, rape, wounding, displacement, loss of community and family) and how interventions can be systematically applied to reduce the devastated mental health of these victims.
- Clinical psychologist in an academic setting, current research focuses on post traumatic stress disorder, trauma, bullying, and dating violence, teaching in the area of child advocacy and policy, with attention to abuse and neglect and its impact on children, families and communities.
- Director of a Psychiatric Institute, grant writing experience for self esteem projects and healthy choice project
- Digital marketing/advertising managed the development of multiple mobile apps and websites, most recently for Delta Airlines, Volkswagen and Audi.
- Product management for a company that has both web based, mobile optimized and mobile specific apps.
- Strategy, Technology, and Innovation team at a management consulting firm. Manage and lead technology focused projects that integrate and implement cutting edge technology.
- Teacher of technical and scientific writing,
- Electronics designer in industrial controls, optical character recognition, aerospace computer design and medical device design, served as consulting design engineer in own sole proprietorship for 33 years.
- Mechanical engineer with an international architecture and engineering firm, also work as a consultant providing forensic engineering services and expert witness testimony.
- Researcher, issues of environmental conflict and peacebuilding, specifically water, climate change, energy, and non-fuel minerals in the Middle East, Sub-Saharan Africa, and Asia.
- Consultant in stream and wetland restoration, managed multiple stream and wetland restoration projects, worked on all aspects of these projects including proposal, feasibility, design, permitting, construction, monitoring, and regulatory closeout. I also worked with a student in this class as a part of the Reader Project last year, which I found to be a good experience.
- Environmental consultant, assessment of wetland/stream functions and values, development of wetland mitigation plans, conducting wetland mitigation monitoring, and associated state/federal permitting support services.
- Environmental consultant and former Mayor, managed restoration of freshwater rivers, streams, and wetlands, salt marshes, and uplands, driven by regulatory requirements (Clean Water Act Section 404 mitigation, Oil Pollution Act and CERCLA Natural Resource Damages compensation, River and Harbors Act, state programs)
- Director, EDF’s sustainable seafood program, educating consumers and businesses how to make better seafood choices.
- Project Manager, Environmental Defense Fund Co-leads EDF’s on-site partnership with Wal-Mart in Bentonville, AR advancing sustainable business practi